If you’re getting tired of the same old boring oral care routine, why not switch it up with an electric toothbrush? Not only is it better for your oral health, it’s more fun to use!
What is the difference between an electric toothbrush and a manual toothbrush?
While manual toothbrushes are cheaper, electric toothbrushes provide a far greater benefit to your oral care routine. Manual toothbrushes require you to do everything manually, causing you to get tired easily and miss cleaning certain parts of your mouth.
Electric toothbrushes can take on all the work, leaving you with the easy task of just holding the brush against your teeth. Of course there is a technique to brushing with an electric toothbrush, but the overall task of brushing your teeth becomes easier and more efficient.
Still not convinced? Here are some more ways an electric toothbrush can benefit you:
- Most have a built-in timer to make sure you brush for a full two minutes—30 seconds for each quadrant of your mouth (upper left, upper right, lower left, lower right)
- Removes more bacteria so you have fresher breath
- Can work as a stain remover for your teeth
- Removes plaque from in-between your teeth and gums, decreasing your chances of getting cavities or gingivitis
- Reaches and cleans areas in your mouth that a manual toothbrush can’t
- Easy to use for people with arthritis or other health problems that may affect their ability to manually brush their teeth
How do I brush with an electric toothbrush?
- The key to brushing with an electric toothbrush is the way in which you hold your brush. Angle the bristles against your gums and teeth to make sure it brushes away all the plaque.
- When you hold an electric toothbrush, don’t press it too hard—using too much force can cause damage to your teeth.
- Use the timer with your brush to make sure you take the time needed to thoroughly remove the plaque in your mouth.
What is the best electric toothbrush for me?
With so much variety of electric toothbrushes out there, you may be wondering which brand is right for you.
The truth is most electric toothbrushes are very similar in their quality and features. When you’re deciding between different brands, such as Oral B and Sonicare, the decision has more to do with your personal tastes than the brands themselves. Ask yourself: Do you prefer a brush that brushes in a circular motion or in a side-to-side motion? Do you prefer a visual timer? Do you prefer a brush that has a nicer look?
With these preferences in mind, you’ll be able to narrow down the multitude of electric toothbrush brands out there to the ones that would work more specifically for you. Once you find an electric toothbrush that’s right for you, you can get started on your road to a fresher and cleaner smile.
If you have any more questions about using an electric toothbrush, contact one of our 123Dentist.com dental clinics today!