It’s that time of the year where parents and kids have back to school on the mind. From the shopping for school supplies and clothes, to the arranging of carpools and extra circular programs, the back to school to-do list just keeps on going.
The 123Dentist Community Dentist Network wants to help you make sure your kids are ready to start their school year right, and an important part of that is making sure they have a healthy smile to show off in September.
Oral care is usually listed last on most back to school to-do lists, but it’s an important part of your child’s health. Dental problems can get in the way of your child concentrating in school and even cause your child to miss school days for emergency dental appointments or tooth aches. Having a good oral care routine at home and encouraging proper dental maintenance not only builds self confidence, but it teaches your kids how to keep their health in high priority.
Here are some back to school dental tips to help your kids shine this September:
- Get your kids in the routine of brushing their teeth at least twice a day.
- Get a 2 minute brushing timer to put beside the sink to encourage your kids to spend time on their oral health during the school year.
- Change the toothbrushes at home —Dentists recommend that you change your toothbrush every 3 months to avoid build up of germs and bacteria.
- See you dentist for your child’s regular dental exam before they go back to school.
- Pack healthy lunches consisting of some vegetables to make sure your child gets the nutrition they need. Replace soft drinks and juices with water to keep your kids sugar consumption low.
- Get the pending dental appointments, like fillings, out of the way before your kids go back to school so they won’t have to miss any school days during the year.
Need to schedule an appointment before school starts? Visit one of our 123Dentist.com locations to book you appointment today!