There is a wide range of cosmetic dentistry procedures available to improve your smile and give you a newfound sense of confidence. Achieving a beautiful smile is possible!
About Cosmetic Dentistry
Cosmetic dentistry includes dental procedures that are aimed at enhancing the look of your teeth. In many cases, these procedures also have health benefits. For example, a dental crown can cover a misshapen tooth while also protecting the tooth from potential damage.
Cosmetic dentistry is not considered a separate specialty in dentistry, and most dental clinics in Canada offer a range of procedures that focus on improvements to the visual appeal of teeth. Check with a local dentist to find out which cosmetic procedures they can perform.
Dental crowns are tooth-shaped caps placed over a natural tooth to restore its look and feel and keep your smile consistent. If you have chipped or cracked teeth, discoloured teeth, or teeth with large dental fillings, tooth-coloured dental crowns are a potential solution.
Hollywood Smile Makeover
A Hollywood smile is within reach! Smile makeovers involve a custom treatment plan to correct issues such as misalignment, misshapen or missing teeth, discoloured or stained teeth, or a “gummy smile.” Shiny, straight, white teeth can be achieved, even in cases of severe cosmetic concerns.
Dental Lumineers are a specific type of dental veneers. Ultra-thin and often referred to as “no-prep” veneers, Lumineers cover the tooth surface and provide a permanent solution to tooth discolouration, chips and cracks, and other common cosmetic issues.
Dental veneers are thin, tooth-coloured shells made from porcelain or resin that permanently cover the front of a tooth. They’re often used for front teeth that have been damaged or discoloured. Porcelain veneers can help improve your smile by restoring the polish and colour of your teeth.
Other Cosmetic Dental Procedures
Cosmetic dentists are often able to use multiple solutions to improve the overall look of your smile. Inlays and onlays, dental implants, and teeth whitening are just a few ways you can achieve a smile that is confident and comfortable.
Many cosmetic procedures are elective, which means that they are not necessary from a health perspective. However, they can also be incredibly important for those who feel embarrassed or concerned about the look of their smile.
Many health-related dental procedures also offer cosmetic options. For example, crowns may be necessary to protect a tooth, but they can also be designed using materials that blend almost perfectly with your natural teeth. If you need crowns, bridges, dental implants, or other dental work completed, be sure to ask your dentist about how you can maintain a white and healthy-looking smile.
Our Top Tips for a Healthy and Beautiful Smile
Like any part of the body, the condition of your teeth can be controlled by factors such as genetics, disease, traumas, and lifestyle. Although it’s not always possible to have or maintain a Hollywood smile without help from a dentist, there are plenty of ways you can maintain and improve your smile at home and in the dentist’s office.
Here are a few tips from the 123Dentist network of Canadian dentists:
- Maintain good oral health by practicing regular at-home oral hygiene as outlined by your dentist. Don’t forget to make flossing part of your regular routine and brush for two minutes to maintain healthy gums.
- Choose a toothpaste that meets your patient specific needs, whether it is sensitivity, whitening, a highly fluoridated toothpaste and use a toothbrush recommended by your dentist.
- Avoid teeth-staining food and drink like red wine, coffee, and berries if you are concerned about the colour of your teeth.
- Drink water after meals to rinse out the mouth, and especially after having sugary, sticky, chewy, or acidic food.
- Use oral appliances such as mouth guards and retainers as instructed by your dentist.
- Stay up to date on maintenance by booking regular appointments and cleanings with your dentist and dental hygienist.
- If you smoke or use tobacco products, quit now! It’s never too late to quit smoking.
- If you’re concerned about how your teeth look, have a conversation with your dentist about the potential cosmetic procedures that could restore your smile.