If you would like to have straighter or neater teeth, you may be wondering whether you should opt for traditional braces or Invisalign. This guide will help you to understand when each of these options is most appropriate in different circumstances, and give you an overview of the pros and cons that are relevant to traditional braces and Invisalign.
Understanding the differences between traditional braces and Invisalign
Unlike traditional braces, Invisalign aligners are made from clear plastic and do not involve any wires, elastics or brackets. They are removable, and each set is worn for around two weeks before being replaced by the next set. Throughout this process, the teeth gradually move into the desired position. Sometimes, this can take just a few months, while other patients will need to wear aligners for closer to two years.
Reasons to prefer Invisalign
* Compared to traditional braces, Invisalign braces are highly discrete and unlikely to be noticed by people who do not know they are there. As a result, patients tend to report less social anxiety and fewer problems with self-esteem when using Invisalign. They smile freely, and don’t feel like other people are focusing on their braces.
* Invisalign aligners are more comfortable than traditional braces, which can sometimes cause small abrasions in the mouth and can even make eating feel painful after a recent adjustment.
* Invisalign software can allow you to see the predicted outcome of treatment, showing you how much the procedure will improve your smile. For some patients, this boosts motivation to pursue orthodontic treatment.
Reasons to prefer traditional braces
* Compared to Invisalign, traditional braces tend to be much more affordable.
* Traditional braces produce better results for patients who want to straighten significantly crooked teeth, or patients who have teeth that are sitting at noticeably different heights.
* Most dentists feel that traditional braces are also better at fixing overcrowded teeth.
* The adhesive that is used to keep Invisalign aligners in place can start to become more noticeable over the course of treatment, as it can become stained by coffee, wine and smoking.