There are several orthodontic treatment options that are offered by the 123Dentist.com Community Network to correct teeth and jaws that are misaligned or improperly positioned. This type of treatment involves a slight amount of pressure gradually being applied to your teeth, until they align to a certain position. Orthodontic treatment may take months or years to work effectively, depending on your specific set of needs and preferences.
Orthodontic treatment is important to your oral health because when your teeth are not properly aligned, you can easily miss cleaning certain parts of your mouth. The parts of your mouth that you miss cleaning are at a higher risk of tooth decay and plaque build-up, amongst other oral health problems. Having aligned teeth can also help you build confidence in your teeth and smile.
What causes misalignment in your teeth and jaw?
Misalignment in your teeth and jaw can be caused by:
– Genetics—the alignment and structure of your teeth could be inherited from your parents
– Habits—certain habits, such as sucking on your thumb as a child or chewing on pencils, could lead to a misalignment of your front teeth
– Oral health problems—oral health problems, such as tumors in your mouth or gingivitis, could cause your teeth to shift their alignment
– Facial injuries—the impact or damage caused by facial injuries could change the alignment of your teeth
– Overcrowding in your mouth—too many teeth in your mouth may cause overcrowding, forcing some teeth to move in different directions to accommodate other ones
Orthodontic treatment can help to reverse some the effects of the above factors by slowly forcing your teeth to align to their regular position.
How do you know if you need orthodontic treatment?
Here are some questions you can ask yourself to find out whether you need orthodontic treatment:
– Do you feel that your teeth are crooked?
– Are there any noticeable gaps in your teeth?
– Do you feel uncomfortable with your smile?
– Do your teeth feel uncomfortable when you chew on your food?
The questions above are just to get you thinking about the alignment of your teeth. If you answered ‘yes’ to any of questions above, you may want to book an appointment with your dentist to discuss it further.
In the end of the day, the best way to tell if you need orthodontic treatment is by booking an appointment with your dentist. Your dentist will be able to assess your needs and determine whether orthodontic treatment is a necessary option for you. Your dentist will also be able to personally refer you to an orthodontist that they trust and have worked with in the past.
What are your orthodontic treatment options?
– Braces—there are many different types of braces that are available to you, depending on your lifestyle and needs. There are the traditional metal braces, clear braces, and braces that are put on the back of your teeth. Braces are the most common type of orthodontic treatment because they provide excellent results.
– Invisalign—Invisalign is an orthodontic treatment option that is custom made for you. This treatment option involves having a clear series of aligners, which you change every two weeks to gradually shift your teeth over time.
Still not sure if you require orthodontic treatment? Visit a 123Dentist location today! A dentist would be happy to assess your needs and lay out the best treatment option for you.